01 Homecomings

Completed stories
NPCs
NPC

Re: 01 Homecomings

Post by NPCs »

OOC - Liam, Curran, J, and Bram - JP

Liam stepped to the bedside, keeping his eyes on J.

J was decidedly uncomfortable and wary. He had a feeling what they were about and he wanted no part of it. Now if he could only get his damn legs to work.

Not hesitating, Bram took the invitation and proceeded back into the room. He took a seat in the chair next to the bed. He looked out the window.

"So my friend, since I risked my life to find a cure for the poison that traced through your veins. I believe it is time you explained those scars on your back, and whatever secrets you may be hiding."

J got a mutinous look on his face. "There's nothing to tell. It's part of things best forgotten." He glared at Liam who sat at the foot of the bed. "You crowding my space, lawman!" he snapped.

Liam glared back. "Yes, lawman, and if memory serves me correctly, there's a warrant out for your arrest."

J's eyes grew wide. "You wouldn't dare?"

Curran remained by the door, leaning a shoulder against the frame. He watched the scene before him with great interest.

"Josiah!" Bram yelled. "It is high time you started trusting people. A man will drown if he continues to keep his burdens and secrets to himself. We are your friends, your confidants. Please, help us to understand so that we can help you!"

J jumped at Bram's raised voice and gave him a hurt look. "Not you too, I thought you were my... aw hell, piss off. I don't know why I ever helped you!"

Bram grunted as he punched Josiah in the face. The strike sent J backward over the bed to hit the floor. He managed to roll onto his back with a look of shock as he heard Bram yell.

"Enough of this! I have done nothing but be a friend to you, and this is what you do in return! You are as stubborn as ever and it will get you killed if you keep up like this. You may be willing to throw away your life, but I most certainly am not!"

Liam had stood with an amused stare to Bram. He stepped back and decided to let the younger man handle J.

"That hurt, you know!" J glared at Bram from across the bed as he rubbed his face.

Watching the scene unfold before him, Curran was amused. He wondered if and when people would realize there were better ways to handle the whelp even though he was enjoying the situation.

"Yes, but it was necessary. Now," Bram straightened himself. "You can either act like an adult and tell us what you know so that we can stop whatever it is that is after you, or you can leave, and turn your back on all the time and effort that we've put into trying to be your friends. The decision is up to you. If I were you, I would ask my friends for their help, for it is a lonely world if you cannot trust anyone."

J blushed and looked down at the floor. He was afraid it was going to come to this. He had tried his best to prevent it and the thing he feared most was happening. He had nowhere to go. He knew, instinctively, that he wasn’t going to be able to teleport for the drug was still in his system. He couldn’t physically leave because all exits were blocked. He knew when he was defeated but it didn't mean he had to like it. "Fine, what do you want to know?" he spat out, angry at the world and at himself for breaking his rule of being alone.

Bram sat back down in the chair, "Everything. Who gave you those scars and why did you get them? Why are we here in this city? And anything else you may know and are hiding that is pertinent for us to know."

J scooted to the wall and leaned against it with his eyes closed. He had carried the shame in silence for over a year and now they wanted him to tell the story. He swallowed the lump in his throat. "I got the brand and the scars on my back from the same person," his voice slipped into the street speaks of the lower classes. "He's the same agent who’s after me coz he wants Regent Prince Andrew's chair.”

Curran stood as a chill ran through his blood. "Delaney?"

Bram watched his reaction. "He's caused problems for you before?"

"Delaney's a pawn." J snorted in disrespect. "He doesn’t even know he's been had, stupid fop. No, he dances to another's tune."

Liam's eyes were wide. "You're saying Delaney isn't the one we need to worry about?"

"No, but rather this man with no name," Bram said in a chilled voice. "He’s the one who seems to see and know everything. It is unfortunate though, that we have no clue about him other than he craves ultimate power."

J pulled his legs up to his chest and wrapped his arms around them. A shudder ripped through his body. Not now, he thought in a panic.

"How is it you know even that much, Bram?" Liam asked as he focused his attention on the man.

"It's a culmination of things that I've encountered," Bram said. "It was the man I questioned about a cure for Josiah. When he exploded I could sense the evil that lurked in him. Before that, during one of my daydreams, I came across a woman in a dark field. I could not tell what she said. As I continued my journey though, her words became clear. So far I can remember her saying that unless the people of these lands were to join together and fight back the land would be laid to waste."

Liam was alarmed by the news. He glanced at Curran and then his speculative gaze went to Bram. "So, a dream brought you here?"

"Yes," Bram said. "As I've said, I have always done what fate has asked me to do. It is not the best way to lead one's life, yet it is the way I have chosen. So I must abide by its laws."

"An honorable man. We are truly blessed that you found your way here." Liam extended his hand to shake Bram's.

J felt his heart rate increase then there was a flare of pain from the brand on his stomach. He stifled a cry, biting hard on his lower lip. He had hoped it would stop. The others ignored him at the moment but it wouldn't last for much longer if this kept up.

Curran was alert to what was being said. He didn't like how things unraveled and old notions resurfaced in his thoughts. The region was in danger, positions needed to be secured and people needed protection. He felt the weight of the situation and resolved that it was time to delegate. "Liam, if you feel you don't need me, there are matters that need my attention."

Liam looked over his shoulder at Curran. "That's a..." He was interrupted by J’s shriek and slump back to the floor. He stared in surprise as the youth doubled over and vomited. "By all that's holy!" He ran toward the young man but stopped, unsure of what to do. J was shivering uncontrollably and losing the contents of his stomach all at once.

Bram stood scrambled over the bed to Josiah. Not sure what could be causing his problems, he resorted to moving Josiah to the bed and having him lay down. He then placed a cool damp rag on the man's forehead. "Curran, Is there anything you can do for him?"

J shivered so hard his teeth chattered and his eyes glazed over.

Liam frowned and pointed. "Curran, am I seeing things or is something glowing under his shirt?"

Curran moved to J's side, tugging up the shirt to reveal J's stomach. "By all that is Holy. What's that?"

The brand on J’s stomach pulsated with a black color and a measure of heat. "Make it stop! Have to find a mirror, have to find a mirror," he babbled, his eyes glassy.

Bram grabbed for a simple hand mirror that lay on a table next to the bed. "Here. I am not sure what it will do for him though."

Liam had a bad feeling about it. "I think we should move back," he suggested as he stepped back himself.

Watching what unfolded, Curran wondered and feel guilty. Not having known that his healing would affect the lad in such a way, he started backing up, faintly shaking his head. "By God, what've I done?"

Bram placed the mirror on the bed next to Josiah and backed up as well. He encased himself as well as the other two men in his bubble shield. "What is happening to him?"

"I don't know. This is beyond anything I've ever seen," Liam said.

J snatched up the mirror, clutching it to him. Sweat ran down his face, his breathing hard, his face flushed. "Can't do it, must protect him." J stammered out, even as his hand that held the mirror slowly lowered toward the floor.

"Fight it J! Whatever it is, fight it!" Liam shouted encouragement, hoping it would help.

"Josiah!" Bram yelped as he realized there was nothing he could do. All the winds in the world could not help him cure his friend’s ailments. He looked at the others. "If he does not improve, I am afraid we must do what is honorable and end his suffering."

The mirror touched the floor and J let out a scream of pure agony clapping his hands against his ears. He leaned forward and sobbed. The tears hit the mirror which started to smoke. A trickle of blood ran from his nose and dropped three splatters on the mirror. An eerie silence descended on the room and the light disappeared, replaced by darkness. The wind stirred and a strange whistling sound was heard. Through it all J on the floor, his back to the wall, hands over his ears, head down, eyes fixated on the mirror.

"This wind," Bram said. He looked around at the new setting. "It is unnatural. It smells of terror and pain." He looked at his friend. "Josiah! If there is anything you can do. Stop this before someone is injured!"

"Can't stop, he's coming!" J said. With a voice devoid of all emotion as the smoke from the mirror began ascending. It twisted and writhed as it continued pouring from the mirror. Head still bowed, his hands fell from his ears and down to his side. The smoke formed into tendrils that reached out and caressed his body. Each touch brought a grunt of pain and a flinch from J who had yet to move.

"Bram, I don't think he can stop it," Liam said sadly as he watched the smoke take on a life of its own.

"Josiah!" Bram moved his hand as if swatting at something in the air. He attempted to use the winds in the room to move the mirror away from Josiah. Natural or not, he would be damned if he could not manipulate it! The winds fought Bram's control, but ever so slightly, the mirror moved.

J's head was still down although his sobs had quieted. He was oblivious as the smoke swirled in a sickening dance of twists, turns and loops before it solidified into a towering black, thing.

All that could be heard from Bram was a series of grunts. He used what energy he could spare from the shield to control the winds to move the mirror as far away from Josiah.

The black thing floated above them, giving it the appearance of a human cloaked in a hooded robe. It reached out its claws and stopped an inch shy of J's face. "Josiah," it hissed with a voice full of evil.

Liam was flabbergasted and unsure of what to do. He had nothing in his arsenal to combat that!

Seeing that this was making no progress, Bram turned his attention to the window. If the air in the room would not bend to his will, then the weather outside would fare better. He looked along the sill. One of the windows had been opened. He prayed in his heart that this would work. Bram raised his hand to the sky and waited. There was a faint rumble of thunder seconds before a bolt of lightning tore through the window, making contact with the hooded figure. Bram shielded himself from the flash of the lightning.

The lightning hit the figure and went right through it and struck the wall. J screamed in pain but not once did his body move from his position. The thing turned and looked at the men. It hissed something and J whimpered. It hissed again and J moaned in pain. “I don’t know, my lord!" he pleaded.

The thing hissed again and reached out with a claw swiping the youth’s face. J yelped and raised his head. His eyes still unfocused, blood running down his cheek from the marks. The thing turned back to study Liam, Bram, and Curran. "You are a problem," it hissed.

Curran was enraptured by the events unfolding before him. Through his telepathic abilities, he could feel the boy’s anguish and that infuriated him. Still, he had been weakened from healing J of the poison and it inhibited him. There was little he could do save for spewing angry and aggressive thoughts towards the entity. He did the best he could, despite not knowing if he could even affect the being of his telepathic assault.

The thing laughed as tendrils of smoke snaked out and wrapped tight around J's body. "You always were a slow one," it hissed at Curran.

Curran wavered with fatigue as he rescinded his weak assault. And yet, he managed to keep the bravado in his voice. "And you, challenging the laws set by Mother Nature herself."

Bram used the wind to hit the candle and make the flame blaze up and out toward the vile creature.

The creature flung up a hand and the flames shattered falling on J, who yelped but still was being spelled by the creature. Ignoring Bram's actions it stayed focused on Curran. "You do realize I stole him from you, you, the master who thought he had kept all his precious gifted ones safe," it hissed eagerly as it took a claw and forced J's head up so that his glazed eyes were looking at Curran.

Curran looked at J then the demon then decided there was timing for everything. Bram hit it with the cold!

Bram blinked when he heard Curran's voice in his head but he didn't hesitate. Calling on his power he unleashed a wave of arctic air freezing and shattering the trees and other surrounding aspects just to get at Js captor.

It cackled as J shivered. "You see, I marked him before you even thought to. I made the brat mine. His life is entwined with mine. You give me pain, he feels it. The only way to get rid of me is to kill your pet thief."

Bram used the winds to lift the bubble into the air. Deciding to risk using the winds to carry Josiah to them, he then put his hands out in front of him and conjured the necessary winds to lift Josiah up and away from the demon. Hopefully, the demon would be preoccupied with Curran. "Josiah. I will save you."

The creature wasn't having it. Whipping out a claw and pointing at Bram as the winds roared back at him.

Inside his mind, J screamed. He could only watch helplessly as the ones who tried to save him were attacked. He was beginning to despair when suddenly he pictured Diablo. Then Diablo whispered to him and he knew what to do. ~Curran~ he pictured Curran as the kind man who had never said a cross word to him. Curran the one who sheltered him when no one else would; Curran, the one who fought to save him even now.

The arctic cold finally bothered the demon. It diminished in size and drew closer to J.

Bram pushed forward against the return attack. "I will not be upstaged in my own art!" Once the winds had quieted, he noticed the figure shrinking in size. He decided to aid Curran by conjuring a blizzard to ensue.

J shivered uncontrollably and the demon shrieked its rage and shrank even more until it was about J's height. It wrapped around J's body, made him pick up the mirror and forced the youth to his feet. The demon jumped on J's back, piggyback style as it hissed its ire.

"If you keep this up you will kill him, protector," it taunted.

Liam had been thinking and he knew what to do. Tapping Bram's shoulder, he whispered, "Aim for the mirror!"

Curran, help me! I'm so tired. J thought. He was cold too. All he wanted was to rest.

Curran felt J's consciousness, the images filtering in his mind. The childlike admiration settled him. He was conflicted--destroy the demon or save J. With the situation as it were, he could not choose. His honor and fatherly love for J were what held him back.

With a shout, Bram called down lightning to hit a nearby tree, split a branch and sending it crashing through the roof toward J. With the last vestige of resistance, J managed to fling the mirror down into the path of the branch. It crashed into the mirror and it shattered.

The demon shrieked obscenities as it was sucked back toward the shattered mirror. J screamed as the wind became a maelstrom of fury. The demon was sucked into the pieces cursing J's name. And then it was gone.

The winds slowly died down, the snow turned to water, and J's eyes focused for the first time. He looked up at Curran and whispered, "Father..." then he fainted.

Bram settled the bubble onto the ground and lowered the barrier. He ran to where Josiah lay. Sitting on the floor, he rested his friend's head on his knee. He looked up at Liam, "He's as cold as a corpse. We need to get him to a warm fire."

"Then we ride," Curran took J into his arms, hefting the lad over one shoulder. He made certain to leave payment for the repairs as the left the inn.
As the situation calmed, Curran pointed to the horses that were hurriedly being brought over. "Here comes transportation now."

Liam lifted Josiah into his arms and followed Bram to the horses. He waited while Bram swung up into the saddle, then handed him J. Bram only hoped they would be able to take care of his friend's injuries before it was too late.

Curran mounted one and Liam followed on another. With a touch of his heel, he led them to the palace.
This account exists solely for the purpose of posting NPC activity and mass collaboration posts in all story groups.
Prince Andrew
Psionics Beginnings

Post by Prince Andrew »

OOC - Curran, Liam, Bram, J, & Andrew - JP

Andrew stepped onto his balcony when he had first heard the activity that announced an unexpected visitor. Uncertain of who it was. His guards prepared for action.

"Man your posts! Incoming!" The captain shouted.

"Aw, look Curran. Andrew's called out his army to greet you!" Liam laughed. He called over his shoulder to Bram. "How's J?"

Looking up to the French palace, Curran sought out Andrew's mind and reached him telepathically planting a simple message. Curran comes

Bram looked at Liam, "He's still cold, but I think he'll be all right."

Andrew was already in motion. He ran out the door to the courtyard. He waved away his guards. "Curran, good to see you again."

Liam dismounted and gestured for Bram to hand J to him.

Bram passed Josiah off to Liam and dismounted as the others went on with taking care of the young man. He chuckled nervously, for they were lucky to escape whatever it was that attacked them.

Liam bowed hastily to Andrew who waved him on through.

"Take care of him," Andrew instructed his personal physician who hurried to join them.

Andrew noticed Bram staying back with the horses. "Good sir, come. We don't bite."

Bram bowed to him. It did not take one with many years experience to realize that this man was of royalty. "I am Bram Molyneux. I thank you for allowing us to come here."

"It's not a problem, come with me. We’ll get you a room so that you can refresh yourself. Then everyone will have to come to dinner and tell me what in the world you've been doing in my city." Andrew gestured and all the guards vanished back inside. He turned to Curran who had joined them. "Well met, cousin. Your room is waiting. Go refresh yourself, dinner is in two hours."

Curran patted his own stomach. "Good show, I could use a feeding."

Andrew chuckled as they walked into the building. A young man met them.

"Sir Bram, this is Justin, one of the pages. He will show you to your room."

"Many thanks," Bram said. He gave another bow and followed the page to the chambers given to him.

Andrew turned to Curran. "It's like old times," he said. He smiled as he walked off humming.

"As always," Curran laughed. "But would you have it any other way?'

"No!" Andrew said. "Chauni and Beau aren't with you?"

"They will meet us here," Curran said.

"Good, I hope they make it for dinner." Andrew walked with them to their usual chambers. Then he was gone around the corner, towards his own.
Sheriff Liam
Psionics Beginnings

Post by Sheriff Liam »

OOC - Liam, Bram, & J - JP

J, Bram, and Liam were taken to a room where the servants set about warming up the half-frozen youth.

Liam watched with worry. "I've never seen something so evil that close and personal. You did good Bram. You helped save J's life." He clapped the younger man on the back.

Bram shook his head with an apathetic expression. "I did nothing. We were lucky this time; otherwise, we would surely have been killed." He moved towards the window. "I felt so helpless. I had promised myself that I would never become vulnerable. Yet, no matter what I threw nothing would damage or even slow the beast."

"That's not true. You had the great insight to destroy the mirror." Liam patted him on the shoulder. "We gained valuable insights into fighting it next time. We now know that whatever it emerges from has to be destroyed in order to stop it."

Bram sighed, "I suppose. Let us not talk about it a moment longer. For now, we should be happy that we are all alive. Although, I have become impatient waiting for Josiah or whoever is lying in that bed. There are many questions he needs to answer."

"Well, you can ask him. He's awake now," the doctor said. He approached them as the servants past to leave the room.

J was sat up in bed, A pile of pillows behind him. He looked a little worse for wear and his usual defiant expression was in place. "What?" he snapped when Liam turned to stare.

Liam smirked. "You are an ungrateful little snot, aren't you?"

J sputtered, started to say something, and then closed his mouth. His gaze went to Bram and he blushed before looking down at the covers. "You going to yell at me too?"

"No," Bram said with a calm repose. "However, there are things I must ask. The problem is I am not sure where to start. It is up to you what you wish to disclose to us. I am not going to force it out of you this time. I'm sure Liam feels the same."

J looked from one to the other Liam only nodded. Force hadn't worked before so he was hoping Bram's attempt at a different way might do the trick.

J pondered Bram's words. He had to admit he was tired of the pain, the deceit, the buried secrets and the darkness. He wanted to be in the light where it was warm and free of the pain that burned as long as he lived. Bram had accused him of not letting himself get help and he was right. J had tried to get help and well, look where it had gotten him. "What do you wish to know? Ask your questions. I will be truthful."

"Let's start with what happened before we were brought here," Bram said. "The mirror demon knows you. Tell us everything you know about it."

J cringed. "It's complicated." He sighed. How to explain a monster that had plagued his every waking moment for over a year now? He didn't even know where to begin. For the first time, he looked at Bram with truly lost and frightened look in his eyes.

"Start at the beginning," Bram said. "Things may become complicated in our lives, but it is not impossible to overcome them. I swear to you, that your effort here today will not be wasted. I promise to help end this evil that haunts your life. We are friends after all, are we not?"

"I don't have friends, didn't you hear? People have a tendency to die when they come in contact with me," J replied bitterly. "That puts a damper on my social circles." He sighed. "It happened a little over a year ago. I was snooping for Prince Andrew and was caught. I'm not sure who all was involved it was a blur. All I know is that I was chased, caught, and tortured," J stopped, shuddered and then went on, his tone devoid of emotion. "There was a man who wore a cloak and hood. He was the one who interrogated me. He wanted to know things about Regent Prince Andrew and the Bontecou family and even you, Liam. I didn't tell him anything and I paid for my silence with the whip scars on my back and the brand that you saw on my stomach. At the time I didn't know the brand had magic or that they had bonded me to that thing."

"I see," Bram said for he was not sure how else to respond to his friend's horror story. "Is there anything specific you can tell us like a name or location? Anything that would be of use."

"They always blindfolded me and there were no windows and it was always hot. If I truly believed in hell, I would say it found me. Lord Delaney was there at least once but not in the room with me. I could hear him and Lady Sedgwick in the hall talking to my captor who was determined that they not come in the room. He was assisted by some vile woman who loved hurting me as much as he did. They never said names only punished." J thought back to those days. "Wherever it was, it was far away from here. The person that rescued me said he had gone many, many miles before he found me. He also said something about a forest but I was so delirious I could have imagined it."

Bram shook his head, "The only thing I could think of, is we go and interrogate Lord Delaney. He may know something of value."

"He's somewhere in the city and he won't tell you anything. But feel free to try. I want to lay low and not have any more pain."

"Rest J, we'll be back." Liam looked at Bram and cocked his head toward the door. "Bram, if you would."

Bram nodded, following Liam outside the room. Once the door closed, he sighed, "I am afraid I will have to break the promise I made with Josiah. Unless Delaney is willing to disclose the names; there will be nothing for us to go on."

"I think breaking your promise will be all right. J is being stubborn and as his friends, we have to make the right decisions even when he doesn't." Liam placed a fatherly hand on the Bram's shoulder. "I do believe this is one of those times."

"You're right," Bram said with a sigh. "So, what shall we do? We cannot go back to that town for a while. I would not mind staying here, however, Josiah is not the type to sit too long."

"He will sit, even if I have to get the servants to tie him down. He needs rest and we need to get leads. He doesn't get a choice this time."

Bram laughed, "Agreed. I for one would enjoy a soft bed for at least a night. However, this puzzle is most perplexing. To find one that does not seem to exist."

"You're persistent. I'm sure you will think of something. And I will do what I can to aid you."

"Well," Bram said. He clapped his hands and rubbed them together. "Let us get to work, shall we?"

Liam smiled as he and Bram stepped away from the door. They continued to talk as they moved down the hall.
Shadow
Psionics Beginnings

Post by Shadow »

OOC - Shadow, Chauni, Micah, Aquilon - JP

As they traveled along the worn path growing closer to the city, Chauni and Shadow chose to dismount. They walked hand in hand, between their horses acting as young lovers would with no care in the world.

“You two make me sick!” Micah threw his banana peel at them.

Shadow paused in his steps and just as he turned to tease their friend the banana peel landed on his face. He pooled on his resolve as he removed the peel and tossed it right back at Micah. “You’re just jealous that no girl in her right mind and faculties can see through that brutish clown you project with your personality.” And with that, he grabbed Chauni around the waist and kissed her.

Aquilon smiled more to himself, thinking about his first love. "Don't worry, Micah," he said aloud. "When this is over, you and I shall go out and find companions of our own. I'm sure there are women who will appreciate your banana."

Chauni couldn't help it, she took a stepped back from Shadow. As she laughed and blushed she covered her mouth with her hands. It was the first time Shadow had kissed her in front of others.

Shadow laughed so hard he had to support himself with one arm against his ribs and the other against his horse.

“Oh yes, ha, ha,” Micah sneered at his friends. “Hardee, har, har very funny.”

Shadow looked up, touching the ball of his hand to his eye to rid himself of tears. “My good man, where’s your sense of humor? We are all good friends here, old and new.” He nodded to Aquilon.

"Indeed, I meant no offense," Aquilon said to Micah "In the Venice courts one must be quick with one's wits and not let an obvious opening for a good jest pass by. During my time among the common folk, I had to suppress my natural instincts, but now that I am with the gentry once more I fear it comes too easily. I will be sure to keep such comments in check once we reach our destination. Here is a treat I learned to create myself; I hope it will show that I meant no harm." Aquilon reached into his pack and pulled out an apple which he used his powers to quick freeze. He tossed it to Micah who caught it easily. Micah tentatively took a bite out of it.

"Delicious!" Micah exclaimed. "You are forgiven if you make more of this for me."

"As long as it is out of the sight of the truth seekers, I shall have no problem doing so. Someday I'll show you what I can do with milk and cream," Aquilon said. "This subject of royal courts does bring up a question I had been thinking of. Are there any at our destination that should be avoided. I have been away from the game too long to know the players."

“Delaney,” their voices resounded in unison.

They paused, looking at each other and snickered. Shadow held the horses while Chauni remounted her mare, and then he mounted his gelding turning just slight enough to face them. “Lord Delaney is a scoundrel and there are rumors and suspicions he is plotting to seize the throne possibly by usurping the Prince Regent, Lord Andrew. He's a good man and an ally to Lord Curran.” He shook his head. “Delaney is not to be trusted, not by anyone for any reason.” With a smirk, he pulled on the rains and turned his horse around. Giving his horse a swift kick, they took to quick speed and they were off. Chauni flashed a humble smile to their friends and kicked her mare to give chase.

“What was that about?”

“Delaney has more pursuits than the throne.” Micah sighed. “He has fancied the Lady Chauni for his son. He cares nothing about how she feels or anyone for that matter. He sees what he wants, and sets goals to obtain or destroy it.”

"I'll be sure to keep an eye on him," Aquilon answered. "The one advantage in dealing with them is that they often underestimate those around them, especially the women. Of course, I won't do the same in relation to him."

The group rode on and in less than an hour, they approached the city. Aquilon could tell that the time for humor was over. The task ahead of them was not to be taken lightly.

Chauni came to a stop before the inn she enjoyed visiting. Dismounting, she tied the reins to the post and waited on the porch for the others to follow.

Upon entering the inn, Chauni made her way to the bar and ordered a pitcher of ale. She then joined the others as they found a table to rest after the long ride.

“Now what?” Micah asked.

“We wait,” Shadow said. “Today is the Day of Hearing when Lord Andrew the Regent Prince here’s complaints of crimes and misdoing. He takes two hours for this, and decides on the spot if charges should be brought against someone.”

“Citizens need to have their presentations ready for their chance or wait a week,” Chauni said. "Afterwards, he deals with other issues the citizens have."

“Yeah,” Micah stretched his arms over his head. “It’s a mess of political fun.”

“And we still have to be here as members of the aristocracy,” Shadow said. "Especially the land barons or someone they trust."

"Can anyone ask to be heard?" Aquilon said.

"Anyone charged with a crime," Micah answered. "Do you know any criminals?"

"Not a criminal per se, but the rulers of Venice wish to see me dead," Aquilon. "I think it's time I seek formal asylum here in France. Would that get us an audience?"

"Yes, you can," Shadow leaned back in his chair draping an arm over the back. "Asylum and citizenship are usually handled privately. Make your request to the Constable and he will arrange an appointment with the Regent Prince."

"Perhaps that is best," Aquilon commented. "No reason to make my situation public. I only hope to gain protection, not advertise my presence to every bounty hunter in the city." He pulled out several coins and dropped them on the table. "The next round is on me."

"I like that idea," Shadow said. He raised his hand and wagged his fingers as he whistled for the bar wench.
Lord Havenport
Psionics Beginnings

Post by Lord Havenport »

OOC - Lord Dewitt, Countess Sedgwick

Hubert still fumed about Lord Prince Andrew and the thief being cohorts. He was rattled out of his thoughts when he heard shouting in the streets. He stuck his head out the window. “What news?” he asked.

“There be demons walking about! The cursed ones are bringing evil down upon us good folk!”

“Demons?” Hubert muttered and then hurried from his room only to run into Elizabo.

“What’s going on?” she demanded. She didn’t receive an answer. Instead, Hubert dragged her downstairs as he rushed out to join those in the streets heading toward the loud noises.

They followed the curious crowds and stopped when they heard the whoosh of air and saw three horses thunder by. “Come on,” he snarled and dragged Lady Elizabo Sedgwick toward the stables. He had to get there. As he waited impatiently for the carriage to be ready he went around back and looked down at a bucket of water.

Pulling his dagger, he pricked his finger and let three drops of blood fall into the water. Then he breathed across the surface.

The water swirled, darkened and then the hooded creature appeared. “Yes,” it hissed.

“I saw Lord Curran and his group leaving for the palace. I’m heading that way now and will do as we discussed.”

“Excellent. The thief will be there. Bring me your quarry and I will guarantee that you sit on the throne,” it hissed.

Hubert’s eyes glittered with greed. “As you wish.” Hubert waved his hand and watched the water turn clear. With a satisfied grunt, he went inside and mounted a horse. Leading the way, he headed for the palace.

It took them longer than expected due to all the citizens who were out and talking about the fight they had witnessed.

Hubert gritted his teeth. Soon they would all feel the power of a true ruler. One who wasn’t afraid to get the job done.

They rode up to the gates and with a curt growl, Hubert and Elizabo were admitted. They were shown to some rooms and told they could join the other nobles and guests at the dinner Prince Andrew had ordered.

Hubert smirked when the servant was gone. He breathed on the mirror and drew two circles on it. The creature appeared. “Yes?”

“We are inside. The thief is near. We will find him and take him out. Have your people ready; we will keep the Prince and his allies distracted at dinner while the thief is removed.”

“Very well. We shall be waiting,” it hissed and faded.
NPCs
NPC

Post by NPCs »

OOC - Prince Andrew w Liam, Curran, Bram, Lord Dewitt, Lady Sedgwick, J

Prince Andrew checked his appearance in the mirror and sighed when he spotted gray hairs. Time was not being kind to him and neither were some of the nobles under his rule. There were few he trusted and one of them was Curran. He rose and headed for the dining hall.

Curran was already in there. He was wishing that Chauni would be joining them though he knew the chances were slim. He paced by the windows, hands held behind his back wanting to get things done. There were too many things open-ended for his comfort and now someone else wanted to discuss something with him and Andrew.

Andrew entered and smiled warmly when he saw Curran. "You're going to wear a hole in my floor," he joked as he slid into his seat. "Come, sit, cousin. The others should arrive soon."

Curran huffed and twitched the corners of his mouth as he joined Andrew at the table. He looked at the empty chair where Chauni usually sat, a previous conversation wafted through his mind about her true origins and he felt the pang of missing her. "My apologies Lord Prince, I am preoccupied these days."

>>Outside Liam's Room<<

Liam and Bram had a nice talk about J and were headed to the dining hall when Liam stopped by his room. He retrieved the scrolls with the information he had been collecting for Curran and Andrew. He hoped they would prove useful. He walked back out and gestured for Bram to follow. "You'll like the meal they're serving."

They entered the dining room together to find. Regent Prince Andrew and Lord Curran already seated, waiting for their arrival. He took the seat across from Curran and looked at the Prince, "Your palace is most exquisite. I have never seen anything more beautiful. If your food is as beautiful, I will have to force myself to believe that I have died and gone to heaven."

Andrew chuckled. "I like this man. Curran, where did you find him?"

The servants set out the food and served those seated.

"Me! Why is it always my doing?" Curran snickered.

"Trouble has always dogged your steps, cousin. But I apologize. Sir Bram, where do you come from?"

"I was born in Wales," Bram said. "I lived there until my eighteenth year, and then moved to London, where I worked for a jewelry guild. Now I travel the countryside."

"And does our countryside agree with you?” Andrew asked. He sipped his wine, his gaze intent.

"At first, it was a bit on the dull side," Bram said. "However, with the recent events, it has sparked an interest in me."

"And it's those events that have brought us here. What's said here; stays here." Andrew set his fork down and took a breath. "Your brother was murdered, Curran, and I have reason to suspect some of the other nobles of this treachery."

"Ah yes, and that would be the reason for why I've come. I have been told of this news.” Curran hesitated and scratched the back of his head.

Andrew nodded slowly in understanding then moved on with his questions. “Am I to assume that Liam and Bram assisted you in the protection of this region?"

"They’ve done their share,” Curran furrowed his brow then turned his expression into a smile and a wink.

"That's a relief. I'll have to make sure the town crier gets his story straight next time. Do all of you think that the events at the hotel have to do with the plots surrounding me? And do you have names of those who tried to harm you?" Andrew hoped they would have some pieces to the puzzle that was fast becoming a problem.

"I believe this is Dewitt’s work,” Curran gave Andrew a stern look and spoke smoothly. But I have no evidence yet."

Andrew drummed his fingers on the tabletop as he thought. "And what of the thief, what did he have to say?"

Curran tapped his temple. "My gifted sense tells me to trust the boy."

Andrew looked at Liam and Bram. "And what do you two think?"

Bram sighed as he thought of what to say. "Despite the lies and secrets I have seen come from Josiah, I still think he can be trusted. It was not too long ago that he saved my life, so I am not about to give up on him yet."

Liam nodded. "He's done his job well enough for the last year or so. I agree with Curran and Bram."

Curran coughed and shifted in his seat. "I think it is safe to assume most of the boy's lies are done to save his hide. In due course, however, I too still trust him and have reason to believe his word." He looked to Andrew with a wise expression. "He did take a moment once to explain that Rumors have been spreading that Dewitt plans to make a bid but he is not the only one. Lord Lucius Poitier, as well as Lady Penelope Holmes, seeks the throne. The Lady hopes to see her simple-minded son, Watson, appointed."

Andrew stroked his chin. "I need evidence. Without it, I can't imprison anyone. Josiah was supposed to find it but has been most reluctant in saying whether or not he found anything. I also have reason to suspect that he was present the night your brother was murdered and may, in fact, know who is responsible."

"So I'm told. I didn't receive your letter, only learned of it. Apparently, Lord Hubert had it and gave it to my niece Chauni, which she may still have."

"Hubert?" Andrew sighed. "So many things, yet too few roads to travel." He looked at Bram. "You said the thief saved your life once? When was this?"

"Several years ago," Bram said. "Josiah had come to London in need of work, or so he said. I introduced him to my employer and we were paired together to complete a handful of jobs. On one of these jobs, I almost fell from a rotted footbridge to certain doom. Luckily Josiah was there to catch me. Since then I have been in debt to him."

"My liege,” Liam spoke up. “J may on occasion spin tales, but he has risked his life for me. He saved Bram's and Dewitt injured him while he strove to save us from an attack by bandits. He is an odd one, but I have faith in him."

Andrew pondered these things. "We need him to tell us what he saw that night but every time I arrange to meet with him to get the answers, the scamp manages to elude my men. I want these questions answered!" Andrew set his fist down on the table.

"Even if we are able to pin him down," Bram said. "The extracting of information will be quite taxing. Before the incident at the inn, it was as if we were pulling out his teeth to get what information we could."

"Perhaps," Curran rubbed thoughtfully on his chin. "There is a way to persuade the lad by means of coercion or subterfuge?"

Andrew's eyes gleamed. "I like that look cousin. What did you have in mind?"

>>Dewitt's Quarters<<

Dewitt gave Elizabo an impatient look. "Hurry up. My informant told me that Prince Andrew is sequestered with Liam, Lord Bontecou and someone by the name of Bram. I need in there to see what is happening!"

"I'm ready. Settle down. We will be there in time," she soothed as they left his quarters and headed for the main dining hall.

The guards stopped them.

"Move,” Dewitt snapped. “I have news for his Lordship!"

"Lord Prince Andrew does not wish to be disturbed."

"He must. I have news concerning the murder of Lord Bontecou's brother."

The guard stiffened. "Wait here." He opened the door and entered, making sure to close it on Dewitt's probing stare.

"My liege, Lord Dewitt, and Lady Sedgwick are in the hall; they wish to speak with you now about an urgent matter."

"Urgent? How urgent can it be that they cannot wait until after dinner?" Andrew asked.

"They have information concerning the murder we are investigating."

Curran rolled his eyes. "This should be entertaining." He smirked and grimaced to Andrew. "I wonder what lies they'll spin?"

"They had better be good ones, for they were here at court the next day when I asked for any information. At that time Dewitt and Lady Sedgwick both said they knew nothing," Andrew snarled. He waved his hand to the guard. "Show the vagabonds in."

The guard bowed and hurried out to the hallway. "You are allowed entrance," he told Dewitt and Sedgwick and opened the door wider and stepped aside.

Dewitt and Sedgwick swept into the room but Dewitt froze when he saw who was gathered. His gaze became calculating even as he dropped to one knee.

"My liege, my apologies on such a rather abrupt meeting, but I had to speak with you."

"You had better give me the truth this time, Lord Dewitt." Andrew's hard stare was on him. "I do not tolerate liars."

"Of course, my Liege,” Dewitt nodded. “I have evidence proving that the wanted thief, known as J and numerous other aliases, was in fact, responsible for the murder of Lord Aaron Bontecou!"

A boom of thunder crashed outside as Bram starred with a cold look at Dewitt. "And what evidence do you have of this?"

Curran glanced at Andrew then set those piercing blue eyes on Dewitt. He showed no sign of flinching from the sudden thunder as he stood slowly and formidable. "Yes Dewitt, tell us. No, prove your evidence."

"Gladly!" Dewitt growled then snapped his fingers. Lady Sedgwick reached into her handbag and pulled out several sealed documents.

Dewitt walked over and laid them on the table in front of Curran and Andrew.

"I found three witnesses who will come before you today and tell you their story. That thief has moved from stealing to murder and should be hung!"

Curran watched the display, curious and amused at the same time. There was a part of him that wondered what he had and how far he would go to perpetuate it.

Bram's blood boiled at the point, yet he fought to contain his composure. It would not be beneficial if he launched into an assault on the worm named Dewitt. He sat back in his seat and took a rather large sip of his wine, "Three witnesses you say? And how are we to know that they were not bribed? We asked for evidence and you give us the word of, for all we know, your own servants."

Dewitt gave Bram a contemptuous look. "Josiah? So you have met the little piece of baggage as well. I feel sorry for you. And they are not my servants. No, they are the late Lord Aaron Bontecou's servants."

"Interesting," Curran mused. "Considering his servants are also my servants."

"Then you should have no problems with their testimony," Dewitt said smoothly.

"That depends on who they are," Curran said.

"The names are on the scrolls," Dewitt said. He believed that he finally had Lord Curran Bontecou where he wanted him. And the thief, he would get immense satisfaction watching the thief hang.

Andrew picked up a scroll and unrolled it. He skimmed over the list of names. "Very well, Dewitt. Produce your witnesses for court tomorrow. Lord Bontecou was kind enough to capture the thief. We will put him on trial. Make sure your witnesses and any evidence are here at this palace or I will declare you a liar." Andrew announced.

Dewitt bowed. "Of course, my liege," He threw Curran a triumphant look even as he bowed his way out of the dining hall, Lady Sedgwick in tow.

Liam waited a split second before protesting, "My liege!"

Curran looked at Andrew. "Is his claim solid?"

Bram took another sip of his wine, "I am still not convinced that those servants are worth as much as he claims. For all we know, he may be holding their children hostage."

"The three servants he has down for witnesses were handpicked by Aaron and myself when we set up his residence here in the capital. They are also gifted," Andrew said as he paced back and forth.

Curran stood still, his mouth agape and speechless. "Gifted? Are you saying that Dewitt speaks the truth? That our own kind killed him?"

"Unless Josiah admits the murder himself, I will never believe that he did it," Bram said. "You must stay confident in his trust. If anyone of us falters in our faith of him, his life will surely end at the hands of that weasel Dewitt."

Andrew looked at Curran. "I cannot say for certain. And maybe a gifted one did kill him. We will know the truth of the matter tomorrow. However," Andrew straightened. "As your liege, and your Prince, I am ordering you, Curran, as one of my officers and Lords, to arrest the thief known as J, under suspicion of murder. He is to be taken to the prison and held there under guard until his trial tomorrow."

"And why pray tell, shall I do this?" Curran asked. He was standing firm. "Give me a reason, justify the commanded action and I shall abide by them."

"Don't do this, Curran. I know you view the lad as one of the family. I was hoping you would do it and the lad would not run. If Liam does it, the boy will bolt. If you wish not to, then I will let the guards take him now for the lad is asleep." Liam said.

"Best to have the guards do it then, I will not have myself thought of as a traitor to a friend," Curran said. "I do believe in his innocence."

Liam nodded. "I will not arrest him either. We are his friends and slightly biased in this regard. Have the guards do it."

Andrew looked at Bram. Sure their guest would have something to say as well.

"I have said what I feel," Bram said in a simple voice. "If it is your wish to imprison him, then so be it. However, I would like to take this time to ask for help to prove his innocence, to clear his name. Surely there is something or someone we can find to defend him from Dewitt?"

Curran looked across the table, considering Bram's words. He knew the man was correct. "There indeed should be council given to the youth for his protection. However, the idea of that lad waiting in those cells is unbecoming to my acceptance. Surely there's an alternative?"

"If I was to keep him here, Dewitt would raise a fuss," Andrew said. "He would cry biased."

"Then I offer to keep him safe and protected in the cavern below. He will be safe there."

Andrew gave Curran a measuring look. "You know you will be the one who gets into trouble if J pulls one of his usual escape stunts and vanishes before his trial."

"You know those chambers as well as I do. There will be no escape for J."

"Very well. I'll send the guards to subdue him and you will lead them to the chambers. Bram, Liam, speak of this to no one. If Dewitt hears that J did not spend an uncomfortable night in the town prison he will call for a trial presided over by a tribunal. That will keep me from giving the correct sentence which would spare J's life."

"You sound as if you've already convicted J and that it would be his place to prove his innocence rather than the opposite." Curran began to wonder what his cousin plotted.

"I have not convicted him yet. Others will. He is a confirmed thief. Dewitt is not the only noble who has felt J's sting, whether from gossip or purses snatched. He will be trying to prove his innocence."

"So, because of his history, he's guilty of murder?” Bram asked. “I fail to see the connection. One does not mean the other."

Andrew rubbed at his temples, which had begun to throb. "I do not personally think so, no. But the rest of the populace at large believes this. It is them you have to convince. I could let him go, declare at the top of my lungs he is innocent, but if the people think he is guilty, someone will make sure he dies for his alleged crimes. Is that what you want?" Andrew glared at Bram and Liam. "Is that what any of you want?"

"Then the lad is officially under my protection." Curran declared.

Bram shook his head, "It does not matter what I think at this point. You are the ruler of this area, so I must abide by your word. However, I would like to let you know that I would lay my life on the line if it meant saving a friend, no matter what the circumstances. Perhaps it is a fault of mine, but I hold on to all of my qualities. It is what makes me human."

"You are a true friend then and J should be grateful. I must leave now." Andrew stopped pacing and head his shoulders back. "I have much to prepare for."

"Curran, my guards are at your disposal," Andrew gestured as two older musketeers entered, "The lad is still sleeping. Now is the time to move him. I wish you luck.”

"Bram, Liam. I will see you in tomorrow's trial. Stay clear of Dewitt," Andrew warned.

"Yes, my liege," Liam said and bowed though the words were bitter in his mouth.

Curran wagged his finger for the guards to follow. He led them through the chambers and corridors to J's rooms. There, he looked down on the youth sleeping soundly. With a snap of his fingers, the guards took up the boy and Curran again led the way down to the lower levels, where no sunlight reached. He grabbed a torch to light the way.

J stirred and groaned in his sleep. His eyes half opened but that changed as he realized he wasn't dreaming of being carried. He snarled and twisted violently in the guard's grip. "What the-?"

Curran set his attention on him. "Go back to sleep boy." He touched a palm to J's forehead emitting a sleeping trance to subdue him. "Sleep."

J couldn't believe that it was Curran who had him carried away. The thought didn't last long as his eyes closed and he went back to sleep.
This account exists solely for the purpose of posting NPC activity and mass collaboration posts in all story groups.
Prince Andrew
Psionics Beginnings

Post by Prince Andrew »

OOC - Andrew, Cavalier, Aquilon, Micah - JP

The day had just begun and Andrew was already tired. The news and events merely added to the stress. The one thing he was grateful for was that the King of France still held him in favor. It was his one saving grace through the mess between the Gifted and the Truth Seekers.

He meandered his way through the palace seeking the solitude of his private living chambers. There, in the great foyer, he found still more people waiting with guards. A smile came to his face as he saw Chauni and her betrothed among them. “Austin Alastair, welcome.” He shook the man’s hand and then turned to Chauni with his arms open.

She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and kissed him on the cheek. “How are you, dear cousin?” She asked.

“I fair much better with your company,” Andrew said. He glanced over their party with a nod to the guards. “You may leave us. The family is welcome in my privacy.”

“As you wish, my lord,” The older, bearded one said. They bowed and backed out of the foyer.

“Come, you must tell me about your friend and adventures.” He kept an arm around Chauni’s shoulders and guided them to the great room. There, he dropped into a rather large, overstuffed chair and gestured for the others to be seated.

Aquilon stood before the Prince and bowed down. "Please allow me to introduce myself," he said. "I am Antonio Frigerio of Milan. I am of minor nobility myself but I am the third cousin to King Louis through our mothers. I wish an audience with you when you are free to hear my story." He sat down only to see Micah rolling his eyes. "Well, it's true," he said.

Chauni coughed and stepped on Micah’s foot intentionally as she moved to the Elizabethan chair next to Andrew. She moved with grace and smoothness to her steps and settled into the chair. “Sire, I ask you to hear him out before the day's issues.” She gave him a faint smile with a glance to Aquilon. “He’s one of us and my uncle is prepared to offer him sanctuary.”

“Beau, where do you stand with this one?” Andrew asked.

Shadow folded his arms as he took position behind Chauni’s place. With a single nod to Aquilon, he then turned to Andrew. “My Liege, while I have not seen his abilities in force action I do believe in the causes of Lord Curran.” Relaxing his stance, he lowered his arms and set his hands on the back of the chair. “I believe he deserves the opportunity we offer.”

Andrew touched a hand to his own face, pondering their words and stance of loyalty for another gifted. He set his eyes to Micah, who simply nodded, and then to Antonio. After an intentional pause of silence, he sat forward, resting his elbows on his knees. “Tell me, good sir, what is your gifted name and history?”

"I am Aquilon, after the Roman god of the north wind," he began. "In simplest terms, my gift is the opposite of Lady Chauni's. Where she can summon fire, I am a bringer of ice." Aquilon held his hands out, causing snow to fall down. "I can create much larger quantities, but things can get messy when my ice melts."

"So far all he's done is ice some fruit and make a tiny key so I'll believe it when I see it!" Micah chimed in.

"Yes, I am curious to see a demonstration," Andrew said. "Don't concern yourself with the mess."

"Very well," Aquilon answered, standing up and holding up his hands. The ice formed over his body, covering it. "This is what I do to protect myself. I have enough control to create this ice armor so that I can still move in it. It will stop an arrow but not a cannonball. If I knew one was coming, I'd do this!" He pointed out his hands, forming a thick wall of ice."

"I can see what you mean by a mess," Andrew said. "It'll take time for that to melt."

"Sorry, sire. I did warn you," Aquilon apologized. He flexed his arms in such a way to cause the ice encasing him to break away. "More to add to the mess, but it's nothing compared to the mess I've gotten myself into. I tried to hide my powers when I was in my home city of Milan, but I witnessed a priest being attacked and I used the power to save him. How ironic that he was the one who condemned me as being an agent of the devil for having abilities. I was forced into exile, a price put on my head by my family in an attempt to cover their own shame. The government followed their example so now I am a criminal in my own home, simply because of what I am. I hoped to petition for asylum here in France and to become a citizen. By swearing loyalty to the King, I hope that they will forget about me and I can return to a more public life."

“Lady Chauni, would you mind and be kind to tend the ice?” Andrew requested. He gestured with a hand towards the wall that caused the room’s temperature to drop.

She stood and moved towards the structure Aquilon had created. Placing her hands on it created an instant reaction of mist vapors through the air. She carefully and with great calculations determined the right amount of strength and effort it would take to dispel her pyrokinesis. In that moment, she set the ice melting into steam that rose through the air as the block became smaller. A puddle of water formed around the base and spread out to their feet.

Andrew marveled at her skills and soured at the site of the water threatening the plush rugs. He shook his head knowing and believing she would not leave a job unfinished as he turned his attention back to Aquilon. “I doubt they will forget many things, however, it would appear that my cousin Lord Curran has offered you sanctuary. Knowing him as I do, I will extend your request for asylum. As for citizenship, that shall come in time.”

Their moment was interrupted by one of Andrew’s men entering. He merely glanced at what Chauni was doing, coughed, and turned away. His set his eyes on Andrew, bowing his head. “My Liege, the citizen have gathered for the hearing. As your legal counsel I advice that the time has come to tend to their needs and complaints.”

“Yes, so it would seem,” Andrew begrudgingly stood and stepped to the man’s side. “My good man, draft a letter of asylum for this gentleman that I have ordered a warrant of protection as empowered by the King of France and granted to Antonio Frigerio of Milan.”

“As you wish, sire,” The man bowed his head again.

"Thank you, Sire," Aquilon said, "But in truth, our voyage here was not for me, but for Lady Chauni. She has some questions for you. Questions about her parents which she feels you might know the answers to. Before you see to the citizens, I beg that you spare a moment to hear her out."

Andrew took the moment to turn to Chauni- still working on the block of ice. Sorrow filled his expression for knowing what had happened. "Yes, her father," He sighed away and towards his legal advisor then set his eyes on Aquilon. "I wish more time to spend with her on the issue. Sadly, more than I have. I must see to the people this evening for the hours will be plentiful." As he passed behind Chauni, he leaned close and whispered to her. "We will speak tonight."

She paused in her task to watch as he left with his council.

Shadow stepped in behind her. He graced his hand over her shoulder, brushing her hair aside. "You've done enough. Let the staff take care of this."

Aquilon sighed. "I apologize," he said. "I did not mean for you to be stuck cleaning up my ice."

"Someone had to take care of your iceberg." She quipped.

Almost a minute later she completed her task and another of Andrew's men came in holding a document. "I have some papers for Antonio Frigerio," he said.

"That would be me, good man," Aquilon responded holding up his hand. "What happened to the other man who came in before?"

"He left the palace in a hurry. He told me of Prince Andrew's orders and then departed," the man hand the document to Aquilon. "Good evening to you all," he bowed and left the room.

"It sounds like Prince Andrew has spies amongst his staff," Aquilon said and he read the document. "I wonder who he reports to."

“The Regent Prince reports to the king of France,” Micah said.

“We should go,” Chauni said. “The crowds will be gathering and I have to speak to them.” Her thoughts were on the impending event of the day and J.

Believing she knew him, despite his thievery; she was determined to help her friend. It was wrong, it all fit so wrongly, in her heart of hearts she believed that J was innocent. It infuriated her how Dewitt appeared to lead the campaign which people followed like lemmings.
Lord Curran
Psionics Beginnings

Post by Lord Curran »

38 - Curran w J- JP

The cavern beneath the castle was carved deep and high, passages and tunnels were kept lit by torches every ten feet. A soft, steady breathing sound carried through the air. There was a faint scrapping as something moved in its sleep.

J groggily woke and sat up, wincing at the twinges of pain in his body. He still ached from the week's battles and his body reminded him. He stifled a yell of surprise when he realized he was in a cavern. The muffled sound birthed an echo that resounded off the stone walls. His breathing went shallow as memories from another time threatened to choke him with fear and pain. He scrambled to his feet and frantically looked about for an exit.

A pair of small dark eye glistened from the torchlight as they opened and peered out of the darkness. There was a lazy wolf sound with a snort. This was followed by the sounds of a man yawning deeply and coming down with a heavy sigh. "Going somewhere, Josiah?" Curran asked. His own voice was immediately followed by a growl and another bark from the dog resting beside him.

J froze, his heart raced. His blood felt on fire and he remembered what Curran had said about him knowing when gifted one was near. "What kind of dog is that?" he stammered out as he slowly turned then hastily backed up, his eyes wide in fright.

Curran chuckled as he moved from his large bed of hey. His dog leaned back and used his hind foot to scratch behind his ear. "This is Rufus, he's a Labrador.” He scratched the dog on the head and then got straight to the issue at hand. “J, I brought you here for safekeeping; Delaney has it out for you, he's filed charges of murder. So, I think it's time that you came clean for your own sake."

"Murder," J squeaked. "I ain't murder no one! What the hell?" he snarled in angry disbelief.

Curran drew his face close to J. "So says you and while I may believe in your innocence Delaney has information and witnesses to state that you were the one who killed Aaron."

The blood drained from J's face not only at the proximity of Curran to him but also from the news and lies being told of him. He may be a thief but he was no killer. To make matters worse the witnesses claimed he had murdered a nobleman! And not just any noble but Curran's brother!

"Have you nothing to say, boy?" Curran asked. He watched him, contemplating J. "I can't defend you if I have nothing to defend with other than I didn't do it."

"Defend me?" J replied stupidly. His still tried to wrap his mind around the accusation of murder.

"Yes, defend you. I didn't bring you down here simply for protection. We need to formulate a plan of defense against Delaney's accusations."

"I have to get out of here. I can't stay here. That bastard! I knew I should have left well enough alone but no, I had to let that useless conscience of mine prick me into helping you. And what did I get for my troubles? Knife wounds, pain, and truth-seekers on my ass! Then my inner demons came back to get me and I wake up and get yelled at. I go back to sleep and wake up in some hole in the ground with my enemy accusing me of murder! So, excuse me for wanting to get the hell out of here!"

Curran let him have his rant. He had sympathy for the youth and wanted to help him. All he felt he could do at the moment was allow J to vent his frustrations out of his system. Then they could sit down and hammer something out to save his ass. "When you're done, let me know. Then we can begin your defense strategy." Curran moved to the fire to fill a bowl of soup then took a seat at the nearby table. "I'm here when you're ready."

"I ain't ever going to be ready. I want out of here!" J screamed, for the first time, in a long time, he lost his composure.

Curran watched him as he blew on the soup to cool it. He tossed his dog a treat and pet the animal on its head. "Are you finished yet?"

"I'm leaving," J said firmly and took off at a run for the nearest tunnel.

Curran moved swiftly, with Rufus at his side, “Get him, boy,” On that, Rufus leaped through the air and landed on J forcing the thief to the ground. The dog stood atop him, with his tongue hanging out and looking deceptively friendly. When J tried to move to push the beast aside and escape. Rufus tensed and growled.

“J, there's no escaping this cavern,” Curran said. He approached and snapped his fingers to summon Rufus to his side. “You should know that there is no escape from here. You don’t know where the entrance is.”

J didn't stop he was nimble on his feet and running once again for the tunnel. He let out a dismayed cry when it ended and there was no way to get out.

Curran followed him with a torch in hand, illuminating the chamber by its light. There were piles of gold and treasures everywhere. A crest on the carved stone wall identified the vast collection as belonging to the Bontecou family. "I'll say this about you, you're determined, persistent."

"I can't stay here, please. I can't breathe," J said. He breathed hard, his heart raced. The last time he'd been in a cavern, the evil man had dangled J over a boiling pot of water and threatened to burn his skin off if he didn't do as the man wanted.

"J, you're safe." Curran pleaded with him. "What can I do to convince you of that?"

J sank to his knees and fought with his memories. He could feel the fire then the ice running through his veins. He was dying!

"Father, please," he pleaded, his eyes glassed-over as he curled into a ball.

It wasn't the first time he had heard J say those words, and it got to him every time. Curran knelt beside the youth setting his hand on J's shoulder. He was pretty sure he wasn't J’s father, though that was the responsibility he held. "Son, everything will be all right. I brought you here for your safety. Here we can talk about proving your innocence."

J clung to Curran, his body a living furnace. "I didn't do it. I only went to his place because he sent for me. Said he had a job for me and that he needed me to do it to protect his family, to protect Lady Chauni. I didn't want the running. I was tired of being a messenger boy." The story spilled out of J even as his body went from blazing hot to freezing cold and his teeth chattered.

"He begged me and I couldn't say no. I'm such a fool. I took the message. He delivered it by mouth. Said it was too risky to write it down and made me swear to get the message to its recipient. That was the last time I saw him alive," J's words slowed to a halt, though he no longer shivered.

There was so much information in the moment Curran was grateful for a quick-thinking mind. He focused on a few key increments in what J said then asked his first question. "What was the message?"

J whimpered then moaned. "Can't tell you, father. Not the right person."

Curran huffed, getting comfortable on the floor. He wasn't going to push but he was going to make J remember. He moved on to another question. "Whose place did you visit?"

"I left the Lord's house and went to get my horse, but Diablo wouldn't cooperate. He kept moving in circles, refusing to let me mount. So, I went back inside and they were there." J stiffened and his as he remembered the horror he had seen.

"What did you see J?" Curran asked. He kept his voice soft, calm, and soothing. He felt they were on the verge of a breakthrough and did not want to break the moment.

"The servants, they stood there and watched him," He could still smell the blood and hear the cries of Lord Aaron as they attacked him. He pulled away from Curran and vomited.

Curran rubbed his hand over J's back knowing that it served as a calming effect. "Easy Son, bare it out slowly. It'll come to you."

The heaves eased and J spoke with a soft voice. "They didn't try to help him. They stood there and watched as he stabbed Lord Aaron with his clear daggers. They watched him gut Lord Aaron and bleed him dry. I was too scared to help. I didn't even try. I'm just as guilty as they are."

Brushing the hair from J's forehead, Curran noticed the sweat beads on his skin. "Who is he J, who is they and the man with the daggers?"

"They work for the dark one; taking out those of the gifted. They mean to kill the lines. They want my secrets. They want the message and the knowledge. The Dark One can't have it unless it's given willingly," J intoned, his voice dropped several octaves as it took on a sing-song cadence.

It was on the tip of his tongue. He wanted to say it but he understood that J needed to say it himself, there could be no coercion. He had to urge it out of him. "Tell me J, who are these servants of the dark one? What are their names?"

"They grate on the ears, like an evil shriek of the damned. His name, he put it on me. Made me his. A full year he hurt me. He wanted to know about all the gifted in Versailles. Said you had to pay. And he had his servant kill your brother. The mark, it burns!" J cried and fumbled fretfully at his shirt until he had bared his stomach where the strange mark pulsated.

Curran went to touch the brand and instantly flashed back as he felt the ice and fire burn against his fingertips. He moved back in shock and raised his head crying out from the pain. There were flashes of demonic images in his mind and the sheer evil of the mark. As he settled back, he fell to his knees beside J breathing heavily. For the first time, he was unsure of his ability to protect someone. "I will try to free you but I can't promise it will work."

"Please, I need to tell someone before he comes for me. He plays with the mind. He makes you see things that are not true. Then he punishes with his clear daggers and whip."

"Then tell me," Curran urged. He wanted to touch J again, to place his hand on the mark but hesitated. "Tell me what I need to do to get this mark off of you."

"Light chases darkness. Power of the heart destroys fire and ice. Truthful wish dims deceit," J moaned, his eyes glazed and sweat ran down his body.

Curran had to think over the limericks J recited. He rolled it over in his mind, repeated it in whispers. Though he understood that light conquered the darkness he was a bit baffled on the rest. "J, I need clarity on the limericks, tell me, boy."

"Fire burns the cold, ice freezes the flame. Black the mark becomes," J moaned and then clutched at his stomach, crying out in agony as the mark pulsated a bright red and blood dripped from his nose.

Curran felt helpless. He failed to understand what J was meaning and it frustrated him. He had not been very good at word puzzles and riddles and this moment reminded him of why. "For the love of the gifted, no more limericks."

"Heat me, freeze me! Stop it!" j spat.

Curran turned to feeling totally dumbfounded not thinking it could have been that easy. Kneeling beside his friend, he placed his hands on J’s shoulders. Concentrating on his abilities, he stirred J’s blood. Focusing deeper, to the micro levels he knew of. He manipulated the white blood cells to increase and raise the body temperature. It was a guessing game; too high and J’s brain would boil, not enough and it would be ineffective.

Measuring the levels of his manipulation Curran judged J’s body temperature carefully. In that moment, when he believed it was right, he lifted J into his arms and carried him over to the cavern pond where he promptly hefted the youth outward. There was a large splash and water sprayed everywhere.

His reaction was immediate. J opened his mouth to yell at the frigid water but swallowed a mouthful instead. In desperation he teleported out of the water to Curran's feet, choking and sputtering. When he regained his voice he yelled, "What the hell did you do that for?"

“It was effective, wasn’t it?” Curran smirked with humor at the sight of the drenched youth. In feeling the cold waters soak through his shoes, he looked down and wiggled his toes.

J scowled and a lesser man would have been intimidated but he knew it was a wasted effort to bully Curran.

“Come,” Curran clapped his hand on J’s shoulder. “We can warm by the fire and check your wound as well as work on your defense.”

"I'm scared," J said softly, his hand straying to the now blackened mark on his stomach.

Curran pulled back with a grunt and a huff. "You're in good protection son. Stick with me and anyone who tries or even thinks of coming after you is going to meet a very angry troupe of the gifted."

J choked off a sob and turned away so Curran wouldn't see him cry. "I'm tired of running, tired of the pain. The dark one won't leave me alone."

Curran made sure that his voice carried his concern. "Who is this dark one?"

"He is the one who took me, a year ago. He brings pain and death and enjoys it. He has no face. He is everywhere and his touch burns," J whispered.

"Hmm," Curran mused, thinking that might be the best he would get on that subject. "Tell me who was it that hired you saying he needed to protect his family and Lady Chauni?"

J gulped. "It was your brother. He learned what the others were plotting. He met the Dark One's servant. He didn't survive the meeting," J whispered.

"Very well then. Help me to piece this together. My brother hires you to deliver a message to who?"

"Yes, to a lady. I was supposed to deliver the message to a lady," J confessed.

"Who? What was the woman's name?"

"Mother, she's called mother," J said as he faced Curran.

Curran furrowed his brow, not sure what to make of the situation he paused to consider his next question. "Can you tell me what the message is?"

"You have to say the words. He did something to my head. I can't give the message until I hear the words," J explained.

"Oh, that helps," Curran grimaced. "As if I know what the words are," He got up and paced. "This is not easy."

"It isn't supposed to be. That's why he messed with my mind. I hate it when you people do this!” J snarled. “My mind should be my own!"

"You have my agreement on that," Curran paused and snapped his fingers. "Perhaps telepathy would be helpful in this situation."

J came to his feet and backed up to the wall. "Stay away from me!"

"Come now boy, we may not have a choice." Curran tried to reason with him. "If the information is buried in your mind, then it stands to reason that telepathy is the only way to retrieve it. I understand you have not had a pleasant experience but do you truly see an alternative to saving your life?"

"I'd rather take my secrets to the grave!" J replied savagely, his eyes became fierce.

"You're telling me that you would prefer to die as a convicted murderer than be free and acquitted?" Curran asked. He could hardly believe what he was hearing.

"I'm tired of being a puppet!" J screamed and then clamped his hand over his mouth, his eyes wide in disbelief. “I didn't. That's not what I wanted to say. Please, I've been searching for a while for the woman. I can't find her and the burden is so heavy," J whispered.

Curran flinched at the claim and decided not to take that road; it was away from where they needed to focus. "How are you supposed to know her?"

J looked down at the floor and then walked over. He tugged on Curran's hand until he raised it up and placed it on the side of his face. "Take it. Please," he paused, his eyes wide in fear, "Please don't hurt me," he finished, his mouth suddenly dry. He relented to the only way they had for Curran to get answers, by getting inside his head.

Curran hesitated, understanding what J meant did not make things easier. He disliked using his advanced telepathic abilities. Still, reason settled in and it was the only way to get to the truth. He pulled his hand away and sat on his knees. "Lay down, it will be easier and more comfortable."

J lay down, he couldn't stop his body from shivering. He had broken into a cold sweat and he had to keep telling himself that it was Curran and not the dark one. He looked Curran in the eyes and then away.

Curran looked down at J; he could see the boy shake. He gently placed his hands on both sides of J's head. "Try your best to relax, trust me, let it happen and it won't hurt. Trust me." He closed his eyes and reached out with his mind, seeing himself step up to the younger mind where he envisioned a door which he politely knocked on. "J, it's Curran, will you trust me to enter your mind?"

"Yes," J said. His mental voice was stronger than he would have guessed.

The fog that filled Jay's mind was thin. Memories swirled around fragments of conversations. Voices echoed as they wavered, fading in and out.

Curran tried the knob on the envisioned door and found it easy to open. As he stepped through, he first noticed the fog was thinner than the last time when he had forced himself in. He found the youth standing in a swirl of images from fragmented memories. Stepping closer, Curran reached out his hand. "J, come to me, step out of the confusion."

"It's all I know," J said. His eyes were bright with tears as he walked toward Curran.

"Then let's clear the fog from the confusion so you can know more," Curran said.

"I'm ready," J said. He stood straight as the fog thinned even more.

"Show me, Josiah, show me what you know, then I can help you," Curran said.

J watched memories float by. He flinched when one drew close. "That's the one," he refused to look at it.

Curran focused on the image to imprint it onto his own mind. At first, he wasn't quite sure what he saw and when his own mind registered the memory he was thrown into shock and out of J's mind. He found himself on the ground several feet away, as if something had physically thrown him aside. He was speechless as he rolled onto his side sat up. "We've got a serious problem."

J moaned and sat up, rubbing his head. "The problem is my headaches. At least my nose didn't bleed like last time. When your brother did it," he complained.

Curran settled onto the ground. He allowed the images to settle as he processed them into coherent sequences. He saw a fair, light complexion woman that he knew yet could not place a connection to her. He had the strong sense of who she was yet the knowledge evaded him. His brother Aaron was filled with urgency and despair as if time were of the essence. With the onslaught of images his brother fed into J's mind, he understood that Aaron was putting the lad in the middle of the events.

Another sequence of images was of a woman with an obscured face. She used a dagger to stab Aaron several times. He saw three servants who stood aside and watched. He knew who they were and what their gifts were. They stood by watching and did nothing to help. Witnessing the betrayal and murder of his brother infuriated Curran. For the first time, he not only wanted justice, he wanted revenge.

J watched Curran. He felt guilty. He had shown Curran some of the memories but even at the end, he still held back a small part. He knew that Curran cared deeply about the family. J was going to save what remained of it to the best of his ability.

"I'm sorry. But do you know who she is? If I could find her, the message can be given to her," J said.

"No, I'm sorry, she is familiar but I can't say who she is." Curran managed to regain his stance, getting to his feet and adjusting his tunic. "You must be hungry, come and eat."

"Food sounds great." J looked expectantly at Curran for direction on the way to leave the cavern. Now if I could get out of here.

Curran kept a close step with J, nudging him in the right direction and to the table. He was still concerned about the sense of escape coming from J and wondered what it was going to take to keep the youth safe. "J, try to understand, I brought you down here for your safety. You could have easily been taken to the dungeon with the rodents, polluted water, and the real criminals."

J cringed. "Bet that was Shithead’s idea wasn't it?"

"His idea is to have a celebration in the courtyard around your body as it swings from a rope."

J hung his head. Curran was right. He sat on a rock and dropped his head in his hands.

From the table, Curran retrieved a large wooden bowl of fresh fruits. "Help yourself; I can have Cook whip something up." He snatched up the banana and peeled back the skin, chomping down.

J ate some of the fruit but his mind was on other things. He absently rubbed at the mark. It had started to itch.

Curran watched him carefully as he slowly peeled off the skin of a kiwi fruit. "Are you feeling better?"

"Fine, fine," J muttered and hastily withdrew his hand from the brand. He yawned loudly and stretched. "I guess I'd better get some sleep. Tomorrow's going to be a nasty one."

"Sleep well. There will be a meal fit for a king come morning." Curran said. He made himself comfortable and settled down for the night.

J bunked down, muttering. "I think I'm finally way in over my head."
NPCs
NPC

Post by NPCs »

OOC - Mass JP - Finale

The judgment hall was filled with people of all classes. The Lords and Ladies were in their front rows with the other rows filled by the lesser classes. They waited for the trial to start.

Rumors flew hot and fast amongst the people. The lower classes rooted for the thief while the upperclassman called for his death. Aaron Bontecou had been well known and mostly liked by his peers. Many were eager for someone to pay for the crime of his death and, thanks to Hubert, their desires were on J.

Hubert walked in with Elizabo by his side. Both smiled with confidence as they took their places on the plaintiff's side.

"The boy doesn't have a chance. Who would be willing to represent such riffraff?" Elizabo cooed as she and Hubert took their seats.

Andrew had not yet arrived and neither had the accused. The royal guard kept stern gazes on all as they awaited the arrival of Prince Andrew and of the accused.

~ The Cavern ~

J woke from his rest to pace back and forth. It was almost as if he could hear fate call his name and it wasn't pleasant.

Curran entered, dressed in council robes and prepared for the moment. He noted J's behavior and set a hand on J's shoulder. "Easy there boy, remember that it's one thing to be nervous but never let them see it." He patted J on the shoulder. "Come, let's go."

"Yes, sir," J gulped, forced himself to be calm as he followed Curran up.

They were greeted by two guards, one of which held shackles in his hands.

"Hey now! What's that?" J snapped and edged sideways past Curran. His expression and body language clearly said that he was ready to bolt.

Curran held up a hand, waving them off. "No need gentlemen, you have my assurance that those will not be necessary."

The guards looked at each other and the older one spoke up. "Begging your pardon, my lord, but Prince Andrew said to tell you that it must be done for appearance sake. Lord Delaney had spread rumors that the thief will not be treated as a criminal. Prince Andrew does not wish to validate his claim."

Curran considered himself to be patient although Dewitt got on his nerves. He looked to J apologetically while one hand was hidden behind his back, clenched into a fist. He understood that this was not going to be easy.

J shook his head. "No, no iron!" he backed up, his gaze fearful. As far back as he could remember he and iron didn't work well together. Iron burned his skin and caused immense pain. It was why all of his weapons were made of silver. He eyed the guards. He could teleport but then they would know he was gifted. Still, there was no way was he going to let them put those on him.

Curran held up his hand again with the other on Js shoulder. "I have the prince's ear and to my knowledge cannot recall him saying such things, at least not to me. So what if Hubert spread rumors. As his counsel, it is my job to prove innocence and I do not believe that shackling is necessary. If the prince has issues with this he knows he can speak with me. By going in there as we are now, I show faith in the truth of my client's innocence."

J was surprised at Curran's words and froze in his grip.

The guards looked indecisive but then bowed. "Of course, Lord Bontecou, if you would, please, come with us."

They turned on their heels and led the way to the judgment hall. The noise from inside was loud, even through the doors. The crier barked loudly as he announced their arrival.

J shrank closer to Curran as boos and threats from some in the audience began. A few objects were thrown and one rotten tomato hit J in the back of the head before the royal guard subdued the pitcher.

The two guards led them to the defendant's table and took up station, one on each side.

A moment later the crier announced Prince Andrew's arrival and everyone stood as he entered. With a silver circlet on his head and his royal robes neatly pressed, Andrew appeared commanding and powerful. The lower classes bowed low as he passed by. The nobles bowed their heads. He rose to the dais and sat on the throne. Once seated he nodded to the crier who tapped his staff twice on the floor. On this signal, the crowd sat.

J's pale face could not be hidden though he kept his expression blank. He would not give Delaney the satisfaction of knowing he was afraid. He saw the man who sat in the balcony above the crowd. He was dark haired with a tanned complexion. A creased brow hinted at his age. The younger man beside him showed a resemblance. Father and son together. There was a glint of sinister satisfaction on Delany's face, in contrast to the curiosity, the contemplation, of his son's.

From him, J looked to Hubert and Elizabo seated behind the accuser's table. She too had looked up to Delaney and then met J's eyes with a smirk of gloating. She was like a cat that had cornered a small mouse and wagged her tail patiently before pouncing.

Andrew eyed those assembled. "This court is called to order. Crier, read the charges."

"The thief known as Jacob, Josiah, John, Jonah, Joshua, and Jonas is hereby charged with the murder of Lord Aaron Bontecou on the night of July fourth. He is also charged with the three counts of assault with the intent."

Andrew looked at Curran and J. "And how does the accused plead?"

Curran stood with one hand holding the lapel of his sir-coat. "Not guilty!"

The assembly noised with murmurs, gasps, and comments of his audacity.

From the balcony, Delaney slapped his hand on the railing then his voice carried over them. "Gentlemen and Ladies we are here today to see that justice is served in the case of the murdered Lord Aaron Bontecou. This thief," Delaney said, pointing a finger accusingly at J, "He snuck into the home of Lord Bontecou with the intent to rob him. When his plan failed, he killed Lord Bontecou to keep from being identified." He pounded his fist on the banister.

Hubert stood and added his own words. "Little did he know that there were three witnesses observing his actions and would report all of it to the magistrate. By the time they arrived, however, the thief had vanished. Now the boy stands before you, with evil in his heart and defiance in his soul and proclaims his innocence. But I tell you he is not innocent, he is guilty and I will prove it!"

The crowd roared and cheered loudly as he finished his speech and sat back down.

"I'll consider that your opening statement," Andrew said. "The speaker for the accused may now present his opening statement."

Curran wrapped his knuckle on the defense table then stepped to the center of the room. "My Lord Prince," He nodded to Andrew. "Ladies and gentlemen, and esteemed members of the court. I come to you, the bereaved brother of the slain and uncle of the now orphaned child Chauni Bontecou." He turned to J with a wink. "And yet I stand before you ready and willing to defend fully convinced of his innocence." He glanced at Delaney with a smirk of sarcasm. "While it may be true that he is indeed a thief, I bear evidence that will lend to a reasonable doubt as to the claims made by the accusers. And my friends and colleagues," He raised a finger. "It is this reasonable doubt that I am confident you will find him not guilty."

The crowd gave surprised whispers. Many knew of Curran. He was as well-liked as his brother had been. And his niece, Lady Chauni was known for many good deeds as well as having earned the favoritism of many musketeers.

Prince Andrew looked at Delaney. "Present your first witness."

The doors opened and in entered a portly elderly woman with graying hair. Her eyes were red from crying. When she spotted J she gave a loud wail and threw him an accusing look. "Murderer!" she wailed.

J's eyes were wide. How could Nellie accuse me? I've done nothing to her.

~^~

It was not difficult for Chauni and her friends to find the courthouse. She knew the city well. The throngs had gathered to see the trial of the one accused of killing her father. Yet she was determined to help her friend. It was wrong, it felt wrong. In her heart of hearts, she believed that J was innocent. What infuriated her was that Delaney seemed to be spearheading the campaign.

As she dismounted her stead, she led their small group up the steps and found the chamber. Stepping among the throngs was easy as they moved aside to let her through. There was not one who did not know who she was and many lent their condolences and encouragements.

She was given room to slip into the chamber and took a stance to the back, setting a hand on one man who was willing to let her through to the front. By pulling her cloak's hood over her head, she was telling the throngs that she did not want attention brought to her. Keeping to the back, she listened to the opening speeches and was able to spy who the witnesses were. A soft gasp escaped her lips when Nellie, her nursemaid came forth. A tear escaped as she heard the testimony of how her trusted friend betrayed her family.

Curran hesitated with deliberate intent, a faint look of confidence crossed him as he scanned the audience. He smirked when he saw the cloaked figure towards the back. He then turned towards Nellie. "For the record, you state that you heard an argument regarding a message for delivery and the only two you know to have been in that room at the time, were the victim and accused, correct?"

"That is correct, my lord."

"Are you absolutely certain of this?" He pressed the question with a firm tone. "And remember you are sworn to an oath of the truth. Can you be one hundred percent, beyond a doubt, say that they were the only two?"

"I," Nellie hesitated then looked baffled before nodding. "Aye, I'm sure."

Curran stood there for a moment, he studied the woman, and something bothered him about her. Locking eyes with her, he bore through trying to breach her mind. There, he found a core of blackness, emotions, and thoughts of agony, pain, and something else. The beast within her swerved around and glared back. It barked at him and forced him out of Nellie's mind. He flinched and was now, beyond a doubt certain that she was not in control of herself. The problem was he could not reveal it to the court; without revealing himself to be gifted. And there were enough hostilities against the gifted.

Hubert frowned. Elizabo tapped his arm and whispered something to him. "My liege, the witness can be retired. She has answered all questions."

Andrew looked at Curran. "Do you have any further questions for the witness?"

Curran glanced towards Hubert, annoyed that he had the nerve to make his statement. "For the moment, however, I reserve the right to recall this witness at a later time."

"Right to reserve is granted. Lord Hubert, call your next witness."

Hubert bowed. "We call forth Will Clement."

The doors opened and a giant of a man strode in. He towered above them at over six feet and looked out of place.

Hubert began his questions. "Name and employ."

"Will Clement, caretaker of Bontecou Chateau, home to Lord Aaron Bontecou."

"Where were you on July fourth?" Hubert asked.

"I had entered the house when I saw a young man run past me and out the back. This worried me for Lord Bontecou did not employ any youngsters so I went to find him. I heard Nellie's scream and ran through the house. I found her kneeling next to Lord Bontecou, sobbing hysterically and holding his hand." He paused for a cough then shifted in the chair for comfort. "I roused the others and had them do an immediate search of the grounds but no one could find him. There was, as far as I know, only the one intruder."

Hubert nodded. "I see. Was there anything else odd about the scene of the crime?"

"The furnishings were undisturbed and my Lord didn't look like he had struggled."

"No more questions, my liege."

Curran looked back to the cloaked figure that stood guarded by a huntsman they both knew very well. He met the huntsman's eyes and saw pity in them. In turning to the servant, he gave a quick glance to Hubert. He took a deep breath.

"It seems there is one thing not mentioned as of yet." He made a step towards the evidence table and picked up the knife, he scrutinized the blood still on it. "Both you and Nellie have testified that you witnessed a youth run from the scene, from the victim, however," He looked directly at Will and held the knife. "Did you actually see this knife, the murder weapon, in his hands?" He set the knife on the table before the man. "If so, please explain yourself?"

Will's glance flickered to Hubert's even as he cleared his throat again. "No, I did not see the knife in his hands. I only saw him flee."

The angry murmur of the crowd rose again and they reluctantly grew silent when the crier banged his staff for order.

"So," Curran stepped to the side to block Will's view of Hubert. "You're contention is that this youth is guilty simply because you witnessed him running from the scene and yet you can't even place the murder weapon in his hand." He slapped his hand on the table and looked at Andrew. "My Liege, defense moves to dismiss all charges based on the witness confession that the weapon cannot be placed in the accused hands which means all statements are circumstantial."

"I object, my liege. I still have my final witness," Hubert countered.

Andrew gave Hubert a long look. "Both lords approach. Witness you're dismissed."

Will left the stand and joined Nellie in the audience.

Hubert angrily walked up to Andrew's throne. His eyes were stormy and he cast an unfriendly glance to Curran.

Andrew looked at Curran and then Hubert. "I will allow this final witness. However, it'd better not be a waste of this court's time, Lord Hubert," Andrew said.

"It will not be, my liege," Hubert glowered, as he stalked back to his table.

"Then call the final witness," Andrew ordered.

J regained some of his color but his hands were clenched to his chair, hard. Nellie had lied. Will's version was only partially true. J had run into him but it was before Lord Aaron had died. The doors opened for the final time and Henry, an older gentleman walked in and took his seat.

"Name and employ," Hubert asked.

"Henry, I'm the stable keeper for Lord Aaron Bontecou."

"Could you describe what happened on July fourth?"

"I was in the stables, finishing up the mucking of the stalls when I saw a young man, come walking in. I asked him how his night was and he said he had enjoyed his visit with the lord and delivered a present. Then he got on this black stallion and left. I finished up several minutes later and headed back to the main house. By the time I got there, everyone was gathered and the magistrate had been called."

"No more questions, my liege," Hubert said. "He's your witness, Lord Curran."

Curran sat next to J and looked at some papers. "We have established the accused was indeed on the scene, that the weapon cannot be placed in his hand, and now a witness who does confirm his leaving the scene." He looked up with an annoyed glance to Hubert. "I have no questions for this witness."

"The witness is excused," Andrew said. "Do you have any other witnesses?"

"I have no more witnesses, but we do have one other piece of evidence to show." Hubert unrolled a parchment and held it up. "This is a letter that Lord Aaron wrote but didn't finish. It was addressed to a woman named Monique. In it, he states that he wished her to tell the truth about the thief to his brother Lord Curran but then the letter was never finished." He threw Curran a triumphant look as he laid the parchment down.

"Thank you, my liege," Curran stood, shot a glance at Chauni who had cautiously moved closer to them. "Defense calls Lady Chauni Bontecou."

The response was immediate as the crowd surged to its feet yelling loudly. Some were in shock, others cheering her on.

"Order!" The crier roared over the rowdiness from the crowd. He slammed his staff to the floor until they settled.

Chauni stepped forth pushing back the hood of her cloak. She gazed at each one of them with a nod towards Andrew and then Curran. She moved to the witness stand and sat down. She looked to Hubert with defiance.

"Please state your identity for the court records," Curran said.

She spoke in a soft calming tone that held an underlining of confidence and authority. "I am the Lady Lasiandra Chauni Bontecou, daughter and heiress of Lord Aaron Chandler Bontecou of De Versailles France, betrothed to Beau Austin Alastair of the Armstrong house of England."

"Tell me, my Lady, what is your acquaintance with the accused?" Curran asked.

She looked to J with a mournful glaze in her eyes. "We are childhood friends," She forced a smile. "He used to put mud in my hair and tease me. Today, I am fond of him though we no longer travel the same circles."

J blushed as he heard some people in the audience snicker.

Curran paused with the snickering, waiting until it dissipated. "My Lady, would you please describe to the courts how you learned of the demise of your father."

She hesitated as she recalled the moment. "I had encountered Lord Hubert while on a ride. He gave me a letter that he was supposedly delivering to my uncle which mentioned my father's demise."

"How do you know it was from him?" Curran asked.

"He gave it to me himself." She said. Sitting back, she set her arms on the arms of the chair and glared at Hubert. "The letter was from Lord Prince Andrew and spoke of the matter to discern who is responsible for my father's slaying as well as that of his staff."

The silence in the hall was instant. Andrew had abruptly straightened in his seat and the look he gave Delaney made everyone wince, except the scowling Delaney.

Chauni shifted slightly, opening the pouch secured to her belt. "I have kept this letter with me since that day." From the pouch, she produced the folded paper and held it out for Curran.

He took it and read the words for himself then aloud for the court:

"My friend and cousin,

I wish I were not the one to bring this burden. It is with great sorrow that I bear this news to you and your young niece. I have arranged for a contingency to arrive and escort you to the palace where we can discuss the specific details in confidence. There are several who will remain behind to protect your lands during your absence. This is a matter of urgency my friend, we must discern who is responsible for your brother's slaying as well as that of his staff.

Kind Regards,
Lord Prince Andrew
Regent of de Versailles"

Andrew, usually in control, was looking downright furious. He looked at Hubert. "Where did you get the message?" he asked.

Hubert bowed low. "One of your guards brought it to my home, my lord, along with a second parchment which contained a warrant of arrest for the thief Josiah."

Andrew looked at Chauni. "Was the royal seal affixed to the letter?"

"It was, my lord," She nodded.

"There is something amiss here and I do not like it. Lord Curran do you have more questions for your witness?" Andrew asked.

Curran paused again, with a waiting glance to Chauni. "One, my liege," He glanced to Hubert then back to Chauni. "How, if in any way are you associated with Lord Hubert?"

She looked coldly at the man. "My father once considered him a suitor for my hand. I'm not sure what changed, though there's no complaint, because soon after my father had selected an agreement with the House of Armstrong."

Hubert's face was red in anger and Elizabo whispered furiously in his ear.

Andrew looked at Curran. "Do you conclude with this witness?"

Curran stepped back with satisfaction. "I have no further questions."

Elizabo, not Hubert stood. "My liege, if I may please continue the questioning since Lord Hubert, has a previous relationship with the witness."

"You may proceed," Andrew said.

"Lady Bontecou, you said you intercepted the letter that was meant for Lord Curran Bontecou?"

Chauni crossed her legs and spoke with sarcasm. "No, I said that it was given to me."

"True, I was there and I will answer the question you seem intent on avoiding. Yes, Lady Chauni intercepted a royal letter intended for Lord Bontecou. She then engaged in some, verbal exchange with Lord Hubert before continuing on her way. Now, why would the Lady take a royal letter not meant for her? Hmm, I wonder," Elizabo said. She bowed to Andrew. "We have no further questions of this witness, my liege."

Andrew looked at Curran. "Anything to add?"

Curran shook his head. "No, my liege."

"I do." Chauni sat forth glaring at Elizabo. She revealed a thick, dark, bound book with parchment pages. "The only thing this trial is serving is to blame an innocent for the sake of the greed and selfishness of your own agenda." Glaring at the two of them she passed the book to Andrew. "This is proven so by my father's own words, in his journal."

"What?" Delany barked, coming to his feet.

The crowd was in an uproar. They ignored the crier's orders and only quieted when Andrew barked. "Silence!" He looked around the room settling his eyes on the journal. "I have a question of my own. Where's the body of Aaron Bontecou?"

Murmurs and whispers wafted in the air. The hush was followed by a still quietness. Andrew raised a brow with interest. He noticed Elizabo purse her lips and turn to a window.

Delaney looked down at his hands and slumped in defeat.

Andrew sighed and picked up the gavel. "If there is no one then it is a case of one word against another. And without the evidence these charges are unsubstantial. Therefore, I dismiss them and this hearing is adjourned." He slammed the gavel down onto the wooden base. He signaled the crier with a single nod.

The man banged his staff twice to the floor. "Here ye, here ye, the day's proceedings are closed. All citizens are dismissed."

As the crowd dispersed, hugs and handshakes abounded among the victors, Hubert and Elizabo yelled at Andrew at the top of their lungs. They were surrounded by Hubert's personal guard who tried to lead them away.

Curran watched the cacophony of souls filter out of the room, he took a deep breath and looked at Chauni and then turned to his table to pack is casework. "Well now, what's next?" He asked.

"I'm sorry, uncle," Chauni shook her head. "I..."

Curran set an arm around her shoulders to console her. "Everything will be all right." He kissed her on the forehead. He then looked to J. "Everything is going to be all right, yes Josiah?" He asked.

"Yes, just beautiful," J snarled giving Curran a look of pure hurt and betrayal. He'd done what they wanted. "Damn ingrates," he muttered as he stopped at his two guards. "What you standing there for? You idiots! Take me wherever we're supposed to go." He growled, his street accent came out in his anger at the world and at himself.

"J, they're not taking you anywhere," Curran said. "You're a free man."

Andrew had approached them in time to hear J cursing Curran, and Andrew's temper flared. "Move!" He barked at his guards then grabbed J's wrist. "Bontecou's stay with me! The rest of you leave. I do not want anyone else in the room!"

As the others departed the doors were closed behind them.

Chauni held her father's journal to her chest, her arms folded around it as she took a seat on the defense table.

Beau leaned onto the banister behind her, remaining as silent as ever while watching things unfold. Behind them were their friends Micah and Aquilon.

Curran stood beside Chauni and Beau with his arms folded and an inkling of what Andrew plotted. A smile danced on the corner of his mouth.

Andrew dragged the surly cursing J over to the throne and sat. With a quick flip, he turned J over his lap. He pinned J's arms behind his back with one hand and with his other, delivered several hard blows to J's ass.

"You, my boy, will not curse those who helped save your hide." Andrew delivered five more hard blows. "You will apologize to Lord Curran and Lady Chauni." He delivered another ten blows before he shoved J off his lap and onto the floor.

J had tears in his eyes as he landed on the hard surface. He rubbed his temple and gave Andrew an angry glare. He ducked his head when Andrew gave him a look that clearly said, go ahead and test me.

"Apologize, now!" Andrew said.

J jumped then stood, turning to Curran and Chauni. He rubbed his eyes, angrily swiping the tears away with his sleeve. "I'm sorry."

They glanced at each other, then Andrew, and then J. "We do forgive you." Curran said.

"Good," Andrew said. "Now that we have established that. Curran, I understand if you wish to go home to attend your properties. J has to go into custody until I can sort out our enemies and your brother's killers."

"No disrespect Andrew but I believe we could do this better if we pooled our knowledge together." Curran rested against the table beside Chauni and folded his arms. "You know what I'm capable of and my resources are available to you."

"And we will make use of them. I am open to suggestions," Andrew said.

J had finally sat down and kept shifting uncomfortably. It had been a long time since anyone had laid a hand on his backside. It not only shocked him but embarrassed him. He was going to keep his mouth shut he decided. He wasn't telling any of them a damn thing.

"I think a lot can be discerned from my father's journals and his work." Chauni offered. She offered the book to Andrew. "He had plans, things he wanted to present to you and wrote everything down in this book. My father wanted to form a Consortium to provide a safe haven for the gifted."

J perked up at the sound of that and stored the fact away for future reference.

"A safe place is sorely needed," Andrew said. "There are many gifted who would welcome it,"

"It was my brother's dream," Curran said. "We had spoken of it, and the irony is that I had developed my own plans along the same lines."

"Then we shall do it in his memory and honor," Andrew said. He rang a bell and two guards came in. "Take the youngster back to the cavern. He may be free but he still needs protection."

"Yes my liege," they replied and walked out with an unresisting J.

"Come to my office and we'll talk more," Andrew said.

They followed him filled with excitement, curiosity, anticipation. Chauni was mostly excited for finally being able to believe that her father's dream would become a reality.

It was the one thing she wanted to see happen above all others. She felt the hope he had tried to convey to her over the years when they had spoken of the Consortium. A dream that had cost him his life. She wanted to believe that his life's dream, his life's work had not been a waste. She wanted her father's life to have been worth something.

END